The fourth annual Ride for Heart Health is a bike ride to promote heart health and fitness. Treleaven Winery in King Ferry, NY has teamed up with Barn Warrior Crossfit in Aurora, NY and the Cayuga Heart Institute, in Ithaca, NY to offer a full day centered around living a healthy lifestyle and promoting cardiac health awareness. Bike riders from near and far are welcome to join us in exercising their hearts, bodies, and minds while bringing greater visibility and support to this cause. All proceeds raised from your registration fee will go directly to an invaluable local resource, the Cayuga Heart Institute, in Ithaca, NY.
You do not have to raise additional funds; however, if you wish, you may donate additional funds to the CHI.
The bike ride will start and finish at the Trealeaven Winery. After touring the beautiful countryside on the east side of Cayuga Lake – truly in the “heart” of the Finger Lakes – all participants and their friends and families will enjoy an afternoon of festivities. Join us whether you participate in the ride or not to help us as we celebrate living a heart-healthy life. While this is a ride, not a race, riders are welcome to test their abilities and ride as fast (or as leisurely) as they choose.
Why This Ride:
Heart-related disease is one of the leading causes of illness and death in this country. Many of you know this first hand, as does the owner of King Ferry Winery, Peter Saltonstall, who suffered an almost-fatal sudden cardiac arrest three year’s ago. As part of his recovery, Peter has learned more about heart health and wanted to share this critical knowledge to help others. A partnership with the crossfit and fitness group, Barn Warrior Crossfit, was an ideal choice, as was sponsoring a bike-a-thon to promote exercise as an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. The Cayuga Heart Institute is the beneficiary of the funds raised. Find out more about Peter’s journey here and listen to this podcast on his personal experience. In year’s past, we recognized Shawn Bell, who at a young age had a heart attack and has also made a full recovery; read his story here HV Winter2013-Shawn Bell Story-spreads .
Start and End Location: Treleaven Winery – King Ferry, 653 Lake Road, King Ferry, NY (get directions)
Start time: 9:00 a.m. ride begins for all routes. Sign in anytime from 7:30-8:45 a.m. when registration closes. Please note that you may start earlier if you wish.
11:00 a.m. Band and luncheon begins
3:00 p.m. All riders must return to the winery by this time.
Ride / Free commemorative stemless wine glass / Lunch / Coupon for one free bootcamp or crossfit session at Barn Warrior Crossfit ($10 value) / Entry into raffle to win “Heart of the Finger Lakes” silver pendant by local artisan Micky Roof of the Jewel Box, Ithaca, NY ($90 value)/ Free wine tasting at King Ferry Winery and $1 off a glass of wine.
Choose From One of Three Rides:
ROUTES: 6/23/16: Because several roads have recently been paved with gravel making it very difficult for cyclists, here are the new routes to follow. Please note that there are only minor deviations, and the roads will be clearly marked with chalk and signs:
New route for June 25 for 30 mile: 30 mile new route
New route for June 25 for 50 mile: 50 mile new route
New route for June 25 70 mile: 70 mile new route
Please note: this is the Finger Lakes, formed by glaciers a long time ago, so while the 30 mile route is relatively flat with small hills, there are larger hills on the 50 and 70 miles routes (some riders noticed a pretty steep hill coming up out of Long Point on Cayuga Lake). Map of all 3 routes
1. Beating Heart Countryside Ride – 32 miles: This course is primarily on scenic back roads, with some small easy hills. A rest stop is at the halfway point at Barn Warrior Crossfit. Ride at your own pace and enjoy the scenery!
2 Heart Pumping Hill Ride – 49 Mile Course: Challenge yourself and get your heart pumping on this 50-mile scenic course which includes more than a few hills! For the more experienced rider or the rider who never shies away from a challenge; rest stops at Barn Warrior Crossfit and at Long Point State Park. Note: there is one hill that is pretty steep about two-thirds of the way through the ride. But we are in the Finger Lakes (hello, glaciers!) afterall.
3. Ride to Your Heart’s Content Endurance Ride – 67 Mile Course: For those who like to go the distance, there is no place more beautiful than the Finger Lakes. This is a 66+ mile, not for the “faint of heart” ride taking you from Owasco Lake to Cayuga Lake and all points in between. Smile, your heart will thank you! Reststops at Fleming Fire Department, Frontenanc State Park in Union Springs, and Long Point State Park in Aurora. Again, a steep hill comes up out of Long Point Road.
Riding Rules and Information:
- All riders MUST wear a helmet.
- All riders must be 18 years of age.
- All riders must sign a waiver at registration or bring a completed RIDER_WAIVER_2016 with you.
- While there are rest stops with refreshments along each route, riders are encouraged to bring their own drinks.
- You should have your own tire changing and basic bike repair kits with you.
- We will provide an emergency phone number in case you require assistance.
- The ride happens rain or shine.
- We will have maps and que sheets available even though the routes will be well-marked.
- Please follow the rules of the road for cyclists, including using hand signals, riding single file to allow cars to pass, etc. Remember, you represent all riders when you are on the road. Safety first! Courtesy not far behind!
- It is mandatory that you have fun and ride at your own pace, whether all out or leisurely!
A festival atmosphere will greet cyclists as they return with a band entertaining riders and guests. All riders receive a free heart healthy luncheon with their registration fee and there will be food available for their guests for an additional fee. In addition, there will be a licensed massage therapist available ($1 a minute), and other activities that promote health and fitness and FUN. Come prepared to have fun, challenge yourself on one of our courses, and relax and enjoy the rest of the day!
Donations: You may also make a donation directly to the Cayuga Heart Institute.
Parking: Parking is available on the winery grounds and along the road on Center Road. Overflow parking will be available approximately 1 mile from the winery at the vineyard; you may either ride your bike to the winery or take a shuttle. Please DO NOT park on Lake Road — it has heavy (and crazy fast) traffic and no shoulders.
Hotel: If you are travelling to this bike ride and want to spend the night to enjoy the area, the EconoLodge, 2303 N. Triphammer Road, Ithaca, NY has provided a group rate of $129 for a queen. Call 607-257-1400 by June 10 for this rate and say you are with The Ride for Heart Health. The EconoLodge is approximately a 20 to 25 minute drive from the Treleaven Winery.
For More Information:
Email questions to: rideforhearthealth.gmail.com